International Pop Overthrow Vancouver
When: Aug. 30-Sept. 1
Where: Fairview Pub
Tickets: $10 cover charge (each night)
1. Putting the “pop” in Overthrow. The International Pop Overthrow is an annual showcase of indie bands that takes place this year in a number of American cities, including Los Angeles, where it began in 1998, as well as Europe and Vancouver (The only participating Canadian city.) According to , the festival’s purpose “is to give every worthy band who’d like to play their music in a festival atmosphere the chance to do so, and …. to bring pop music the attention it so richly deserves.”
2. Dave Rave. Out-of-town acts include Rave and Hailee Rose (from Ontario), nature airliner (all lower caps, according to guitarist Laurier Tiernan, from Tokyo), Pikal (from Anchorage), and Morty Shallman (Los Angeles). Hamilton rocker Rave is a former member of iconic Canadian band Teenage Head. Besides touring with vocalist Hailee Rose, he also fronts Dave Rave & the Governors.
3. The Ryecatchers. This appearance marks the first show by the Vancouver band in 13 years. The power-pop act was once a regular at Int’l Pop Overthrow. Other acts returning to the showcase include Star Collector, Siobhan Duvall, and We Found a Lovebird. We Found a Lovebird recently released an animated video for its song Jesus and Radiohead.
4. Paolo Brian. The classically trained Vancouver musician demonstrates a knack for melodic, piano-based pop on his 2017 EP Tunnel Vision. Other up-and-comers to watch for include The Top Boost (their song What If She Loves You was chosen to kick off last year’s IPO Vol. 20 CD compilation).
5. The IPO All Stars. Vancouver music scene luminaries join forces for a cover band. Expect tunes ranging from the well-known to the obscure.